Helping Inspiration Along...

So I have seen a number of these Influence Maps floating around the last couple weeks and I figured I would give it a go. After all, inspiration can difficult to come by sometimes.

Rather than doing millions of these (my influences are numerous and varied) I thought I would follow the lead of my good friend Tom (T.Lucas) and make an influence map specifically for my Major Project, the main focus of my next year in university.

And here it is:


So a little bit of explanation, going from left to right:

Morgana le Fay by Brian Froud. I find it almost impossible to start work on a fantasy piece without looking at the work of Brian Froud. The combination of realism and fantasy has always intrigued me, and I am particularly fond of the way her uses colour in his work. I have always loved this specific piece for it's use of colour and composition. Also its subject matter - I have always been fascinated by the Arthurian Legend, especially when it came to Morgan le Fay. Also it doesn't hurt that in this picture she looks a bit like Anna Paquin.

Ligeia by Abigail Larson. I recently discovered Larson's work on DeviantART and was instantly taken by it. I love the way she combines her characters with the backgrounds. Her use of line and colour as well as the techniques used to apply them are all very intriguing to me. I am also fond of the way she represents literary characters in her work.

Great Expectations Score by Patrick Doyle. One of the best scores ever composed in my opinion, the music from this film is powerful and poignant and tells a multitude of stories. It is impossible for me to listen to this music and not feel inspired.

Michelle Pfeiffer. Firstly, her eyes are beyond mesmerising, so if ever I am creating s character with mesmerising eyes there is only one person I look at. Secondly, I find that it can be helpful to think of who might voice a character when you are going through the design process. And for the character I am busy writing, it could only be Michelle Pfeiffer...

Dying of the Light by Jenny Dolfen. I have been following Dolfen on DeviantART for a couple of years now and I have taken delight in looking at every new piece of work. I find her use of watercolours to be amazing and the way she creates light in her work is something I aspire to. The way she paints environments in her work is particularly stunning.

Mouse Guard by David Petersen. A stunning comic book series. I love the style of the art, with the colours and the line. Also the style of story I find very enjoyable.

How To Train Your Dragon Concept Art by Nicolas Marlet. I find the way Marlet draws his characters to be really beautiful. I am particularly fond of the way he draws expressions. I am definitely drawing inspiration from the way he works and the way he lays out his work.

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I find the imagery and the scope of his stories to be greatly inspirational. Also his use of children as heroes.

Little Red Riding Hood. I find this story and its many variations and interpretations fascinating. There are elements of this fable that have most definitely inspired parts of the story for my Major Project next year.

Hylas and the Nymphs by J.W. Waterhouse. The colours in this piece I find to be lushes and indulgent, something I like the idea of for certain locations in my story. I also am inspired by Nymphs, Mermaids and Selkies in general. They have their role to play in the story, which will surprise no one who knows me.

Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. Specifically Deathly Hallows. I really enjoyed the quest like nature of this book. I got a real sense of the physical journey of the characters and I can't help but feel that it help inspire elements of my own story that deal with the same sense of a long journey.

The Dark Crystal by Jim Henson and Frank Oz. Design by Brian Froud. I love the scope of this story and how epic it feels. The uniqueness of the creature and location designs are something I aspire to.

Quinn Fabray's Ponytail. It actually inspired my entire story. No, seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment